Saturday, September 18, 2010
Pancakes
Saturday mornings are usually the only day that I get to "make" breakfast for my family. During the week and on Sundays we are are in such a hurry to get out of the house it's usually just oatmeal, cereal, bagels, etc. But Saturdays are the one day I get to cook in the morning. Each week is different, sometimes eggs (only poached for my family), waffles, pancakes or a breakfast casserole. But when I do make pancakes I have always used a mix, such as Bisquick. Seriously, I thought that was the only way you could make pancakes. My mother was an avid baker, making wedding cakes as a business, and she always used Bisquick. One day I was watching Alton Brown and he was make pancakes...FROM SCRATCH. What a concept. So a few weeks ago I was out of bisquick, so I ventured out and made them from scratch. Holy cow, I will never go back. They don't even taste the same. And since I've decided to try and not buy anything with high fructose corn syrup any longer, I only buy real maple syrup. Yes, it does cost a bit more, but I feel I've saving by not buying the mix. Plus, it is SO much better. Seriously, I'm going on a fake syrup/Bisquick boycott. You should too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wellllll Ok I'll give it a try...I suppose the recipe is in the Betty Crocker cookbook??? I'll have to check...
ReplyDeleteB
I always make mine from scratch because it's so easy! Add a little almond extract to change it up a bit. Yummy!
ReplyDelete